At brainstrust we believe that none of us is as smart as all of us.
Everyone that joins brainstrust is passionate about and committed to putting the world for people living with a brain tumour, the right way.
Our Leadership team
- Will Jones – Chief Executive
- Dr Helen Bulbeck – Founder and Director of Services and Policy
- Peter Bulbeck – Founder and Clerk to the Trustees
- Chris Baker – Chair of Trustees. Chris is Senior Vice President at a global cloud content management company and has over 20 years’ experience driving growth at some of the highest-profile software companies in the world including Microsoft and Salesforce. Chris has been Chair of Trustees at brainstrust for over three years.
- Kevin Higgs – Kevin is a financial adviser and has been a trustee for nearly 10 years. A chance meeting whilst at a previous employer, Kevin was immediately taken by the dedication and commitment of the charity to focus on the support and well-being of patients and families diagnosed with a brain tumour. Kevin knew immediately that he wanted to be a part of the “journey” that brainstrust has been on since 2006.
- Stephen Warrington – Stephen brings to the organisation extensive experience leading professional services businesses and consulting for major multinationals. Stephen’s teenage son was diagnosed with a brain tumour and underwent successful surgery.
- Gillian Bilbo – Gillian is a retired headteacher and is now a school inspector. She brings a listening ear and an objective viewpoint to the board and is supportive of fundraising initiatives.
- Ben Young – A former journalist, Ben has spent more than 25 years helping to inform, entertain and engage a wide range of audiences across multiple platforms. This has taken him from writing editorial, into advertising as a creative director, and on to the role of HR Director at TimeInc, Warner Bros, and Ogilvy UK. He now works as a strategic storyteller. He is married with four children and lives in Northamptonshire. He joined the board of brainstrust in 2018.
- Prof. Peter Black, MD, PhD, FACS – Professor of Neurosurgery, Harvard Medical School, Children’s Hospital Boston and The Brigham and Women’s Hospital
- Mr. Andrew McEvoy, MB, BS, BSc(Hons), MD, FRCS(Eng), FRCS(SN) – Consultant Neurosurgeon, National Hospital of Neurology and Neurosurgery
- Mr. Paul Grundy, FRCS – Consultant Neurosurgeon, Wessex Neurological Centre
- Stephen Venables – mountaineer, explorer, writer, broadcaster and public speaker
Our committee includes our trustees, founders, community members, fundraisers, and scientific advisors. Together we have wide and varied experience, each of us bringing different skill sets to brainstrust.
When needed, we put our heads together to address real issues and then make positive and powerful change.
We work with leading Nurses, Scientists and clinicians from hospitals across the UK, and in the United States to ensure that we have the links and knowledge to tackle even the most complex of challenges. If you like to find out more, why not give us a call on 01983 292405.
Everyone one of our supporters is very special, but we also have a few that you might know:
- David Gower – cricketer and commentator
- Tiff Needell – racing driver and presenter
- Alan Igglesden – cricketer and patient advocate
- Andrew Norris – children’s author and TV screenwriter
- Toby Jones – successful actor and writer
- Julie Walters – actress and star of our Radio 4 appeal. Julie comes to brainstrust having experienced the effect that brain tumours can have whilst playing Mo Mowlem in the TV drama, Mo
- Julia Somerville – newsreader Julia Somerville presents our 2016 BBC Lifeline appeal, and shares her own experiences of living with and beyond a brain tumour.