All-Party Parliamentary Group for Radiotherapy Inquiry published
The All-Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) for Radiotherapy campaigns to raise awareness of radiotherapy provision in the NHS and the need for increased funding, so that the UK can provide a world-class radiotherapy service for all patients. Its Parliamentary Inquiry – Radiotherapy: Securing the Future of Britain’s Secret Lifesaver was published last week. Radiotherapy plays a key part in treatment for people living with a brain tumour; more about our radiotherapy resources can be found here.
Key findings include:
– Only 5% of the NHS cancer budget funds radiotherapy
– There is a critical workforce crisis
– 40% of Trusts have machines over 10 years old that require replacing
– Stereotactic ablative radiotherapy (SABR) is commissioned in fewer than half of NHS trusts that provide radiotherapy
– The “archaic system” that pays NHS Trusts a sum per fraction of radiotherapy delivered, rather than per treatment course, needs to be changed
– Based on published figures, 20,000 patients may be missing out on radiotherapy each year
– The disparity in radiotherapy provision between rural and urban populations creates unnecessary barriers for access.