Peer Support for people affected by a brain tumour
Help a patient or caregiver in a similar position to you as they face up to the challenge of a brain tumour diagnosis.
Here at brainstrust we don’t underestimate the value to talking to someone who has had a similar experience. Our community overwhelmingly report that a brain tumour diagnosis is frightening, isolating and bewildering, and that talking to someone who has already been through the same experience can help to reduce the isolation, help to make sense of what is happening, and reduce the fear of the unknown.
Who are peer supporters?
Peer supporters are trained volunteers who have been through a similar experience to you – whether you are the patient or caregiver. They will provide reassuring support by answering your questions about their own experience and can also:
- Help you to prepare for your appointments – supporting you to work out what questions you need answered;
- point you in the direction of useful resources;
- help you weigh up different treatment options by asking questions to help identify what’s at stake; and
- be there to listen at a time when it’s most needed.
What can you expect from us?
- We will be clear about what we are asking you to do through your induction training day;
- We will support you to feel comfortable in your role;
- We will provide you with everything you need to fulfil your role;
- We will run further training days which we will encourage you to attend to add to, or to practise your skills;
- We will reimburse all reasonable travel and subsistence expenses;
- We will be insured when fulfilling your role through our liability insurance;
- We will reimburse all reasonable travel and subsistence expenses; and
- We will provide a structure through which you can address any issues that cannot be resolved informally.
What we will expect from you
- To enjoy your volunteering experience and feel that what you’re doing is worthwhile;
- To keep us informed about what you’re doing;
- To keep learning;
- To let us know if you can’t do something you’ve agreed to do (we know that circumstances can sometimes get in the way);
- To tell us if you’re not happy – so that we can work it out and improve your experience;
- To let us know if things are proving difficult to manage and you need to step away for a while and
- To provide us with references.
If you think you would like to be a peer supporter, please download our application form and once completed post it to brainstrust HQ, 4 Yvery Court, Castle Road, Cowes, Isle of Wight, PO31 7QG or scan and email it to brainstrust HQ.